Monday, October 19, 2009

Oh telenovelas...

Have you ever watched a soap opera and actually believed what you were watching? Anytime I've seen the things (I'll admit, there was a time in my youth where I faithfully watched Days of our Lives...how foolish we can be sometimes...), I can't help but think "Yeah right, that would NEVER happen!" I was talking with my sister one day and we concluded that our lives are like soap operas. Now, we were referring to the crappy stuff that sometimes happens in our lives (which, on the rare occasions when I put my life into perspective (I'll work on it, ok?), I realize isn't that bad); this thought has stuck with me since that conversation, though, and I've come to the conclusion that I could look at it another way. If I were to tell my story to a complete stranger, perhaps they would never believe all the blessings I have in my life. Or how ordinary my life is, despite the occasional tribulations that I let make my heart heavy. 

I mean, who studies on Halloween? Oh, right, that's me. But that's ok. I have amazing people in my life who make up for my lame-sauceness. Take, for instance, the ever watchful RSP/VT girl who helps me while I'm having my allergy induced breakdown, then takes time out of her busy Sabbath to bring me supplies. Or the other VT girl who skips out on FHE with me to watch a little Whip It. Or my married friends who take time out of their busy married lives to spend a little QT with me (i.e. Tresann and J- I know he wasn't technically there, but would have been if possible; Katie and Rich- providing much needed company/nourishment; Mel and Terry- thanks again for the chile!; Leah and Corby- I almost jumped in my car that day to go home and see Baby Lewis...dang school!). I've dealt with rejection, but I've also had moments that make me slightly uncomfortable just because I don't deal well with compliments (i.e. J and R announcing to the class that I'm their "Angel"; another branch member telling me someone would have to be stupid/crazy/gay to not be interested if they'd caught my eye; D and M constantly remarking on my smarts...and never letting me pay during our study sessions/food festivals). 

I have moments everyday that make me laugh (goodbye class/hello rainstorm, losing my shoe in the river running down Lomas, and walking home in a slight downpour), or cry (losing my planner, my ID, some confidence), moments where I have the opportunity to serve, or learn, or dance, or ponder. Welcome to my life...a telenovela.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh, I love it! So much! And you!
Plus also, how many people out there will think I'm just a good visiting teacher, and not a van-timer. Visiting Teaching and Van Time should be synonomous terms.

Terry and Meilea said...

I love you Pam