Well, last night was a new experience for me. Lately I've been keeping pretty late hours, with not having to get up in the morning and go to work and all. I think I finally turned my lights out a little after 2. Usually for several hours after I've fallen asleep, I'm dead to the world. My phone can ring, vibrate, TV can be on, and I'm none the wiser. However, last night was different. Perhaps because when I first heard the shattering glass I thought someone was breaking into my apartment. I sat up, trying to adjust to the dark before moving around my apartment. And hoping I had just made that up, that maybe it had been part of a dream or something (did I mention I've been having really strange dreams lately? Some I remember, some not so much). Then I heard the cracking glass again. I started saying a little prayer that it wasn't my window, that someone wasn't actually breaking in. I got up and crept to my bedroom door, where I keep this little beaut.
Tresann got this for me when I moved into the apartment by myself. I obviously use it a lot, seeing how it still has the ribbon on it...
**Side story; skip if you wish** Perhaps you're wondering why I've never used this perfectly good bat before. To start off with, I'm not particularly athletic. I enjoy playing sports, but I'm by no means good at them. Softball, however, is a different story. I do not enjoy that sport one bit. The thought of playing actually puts me into a bit of a terror. This goes way back. My sister, who is 5 years older than me, played softball. I played t-ball. Go Pirates! haha Anyway, I just remember my sister being rushed into the house one day. She was bawling, and looked to be in terrible pain. What happened to her? Oh, she got hit by the ball today at practice. In the forehead. No big deal. WHAT?! Let's just say the next year, when I got into coach pitch, was my last year. That was my traumatizing event. It wasn't even MY trauma. I've since been to the batting cages once, and played with my nephew a few times in the backyard. I feel like that's progress enough for a while.
Back to last night. Bat in hand, I crept to the kitchen window, pleased to see it was still in one piece. I looked out the window, then decided that wasn't such a good idea. After all, I had heard someone's window get broken. I moved to the peephole in the door. There were two people (I had left my glasses on my bedside table...blast!) outside, yelling obscenities at each other. Actually, I think I only heard one yelling at the other. I also saw that my neighbors window had been broken. Sad day! The two figures drifted off towards the outside door, and I heard more glass breaking after what I thought I saw was one figure shoving the other. I crept back to my room, hoping I would be able to fall asleep fairly quickly. I put the bat back in its permanent spot by the bedroom door, then changed my mind and took it to bed with me. Silly, perhaps.
I woke up this morning to take the Dawsons to the airport (have fun in Denver!), and this is what I walked out my door to.

I saw the maintenance guy across the way near the outside door. There was a smashed screen, and a cone blocking the doorway. I walked that way, and it was like it had sprinkled blood last night. All over the sidewalk. The glass in the fire extinguisher box had been broken. And there was another broken window, though it was in the opposite direction from what I thought I had seen last night. He asked me if I knew what happened. All I knew was I woke up at 4 that morning thinking someone was breaking in, looked out the peephole to see two people fighting. They looked like people that lived in one of the apartments near me. But I don't know my neighbors well at all, so I'm not sure. So much blood! I saw this when I got back from the airport.

When I walked back inside, my landlords were taking some people around (maybe insurance people?). One of the strangers said, "I can't believe this." Welp, it's right in front of you. It definitely happened. The maintenance guy said they were drunk. Who knows? I'm just glad that I'll be moving in the next couple months. My neighbors seem to be getting more and more annoying, and sketch. Thank goodness I had that bat last night to help protect myself...

No comments:
Post a Comment