Monday, October 3, 2011

Oh moving...

I've done it! Now that I have my big girl job, with my big girl income, I decided I needed a change of scenery. This move was a lot more organized than my last. Well, probably not just my last. I'd say all of them since I moved to college freshman year. That one was only organized because Gma pretty much packed for me. I think she was excited to see me go.

Any of my close friends know that I am not a packer. For trips, I'm lucky if I start packing an hour before I leave for the airport or jump in the car for a road trip. For moves, I just dump things in the car and make a million trips. That means I never have time to go through all my junk and get rid of things I don't need anymore. I decided this move should be different. I planned ahead. Packed boxes. My rule was that if I hadn't used something in the two years I'd been in this apartment, it needed to go. Needless to say, I took a couple loads of things to Goodwill. I shredded lots of documents, and threw lots of other papers into my recycle box. It was hard for me, but at the same time, it was refreshing. Even with all the sorting, it took longer to get moved than I thought it would. Seriously, how does one gal have so much stuff?

I'm finally getting settled in, though. Today I finally hung things up on the walls in my bedroom. I think that's the saddest part about moving- having bare walls. This apartment has way more wall space than the old place did, so I need to buy more picture frames and hang more pictures!

Bed, Bath & Beyond has become my latest obsession. Seriously, I need to take a break from that relationship. It's not healthy for my pocketbook. I love all the things I've gotten there, though! I also them because they accept expired coupons. I mean, really, how cool is that?!

My friend asked me the other day what my fav part of the new place is. I didn't think about it that hard, but the first thing that came to mind is that it gets sunshine! It's not a little cave like my old place. I called my dad and was telling him that I have sun again, and he said, "Oh, does that mean I need to bring you a plant?" Yes, please!

I am in no way regretting this move. There are a few things that are a little inconvenient, but on the whole, I love it! Yay for sun. Yay for being closer to work. Yay for having a spare room. Yay for my own washer and dryer. Yay for a kitchen that I can actually cook in. Yay for a balcony. Yay for a dining room. Yay for colored walls. I guess changes aren't always such a bad thing...

No comments: