Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Oh Amber...

Why, oh why is orientation so darn boring? Always. I've never known anyone that has experienced the exception to that statement. At least I got one of the comfy chairs, and not one of the hard metal ones. Still, it was hard sitting there for 5.5 hours. I mean, do we really need to spend over an hour talking about the ExtraCare Card? Granted, it is pretty awesome. But an hour and a half's worth of awesome? No.

When I woke up that morning, I knew I was meeting an Ed. I knew what store I was going to. I knew I had to be there at 9. That ended up being wrong. Luckily I got a text saying it was at 10. Other than that, I had no expectations for the day. When I got to the store, I saw a guy dressed up professionally, so I assumed that was Ed. I introduced myself. He asked where my packet was. Packet? Real cool. I definitely didn't have one of those. We did introductions with the whole group. I caught a few people's names, which I thought was a pretty huge accomplishment considering I am generally terrible with names. He prefaced statements with "Pam" a couple times when he was wanting to relay something about the pharmacy, because the rest of the people would be working in the front of the store.

"Amber, are you going to be working at the pharmacy down the street?" I guess I had been wrong about being the only pharmacist. I looked around to try to remember who Amber was. Then I realized he was talking to me. How did I become Amber? He probably thought I had totally zoned out of his boring presentation. To be fair, he had tried to be as entertaining as possible. In reality, I had been paying attention, and my name is not Amber. So much time had passed since he had asked me the question, though, that I just answered, rather than correcting him. So I was Amber for the rest of the day. He is one of those people that uses your name in almost every sentence. Like my dad. I wanted the day to be over so bad, just so he would quit calling me Amber. I'm not really sure why it was bothering me so much. I don't recall ever knowing an Amber that I disliked. I don't recall knowing an Amber at all. I got called the wrong name on a regular basis at work, especially when answering the phone. Slightly annoying, but I never got as heated as I was about being called Amber. Whatever.

Things are looking up. This month is going to be pretty legit, I think. I have a sneaking suspicion it is going to be filled with lots of memories, but that it's going to fly by. It will be full of training, nerves, my first 14 hour shift, Little Man's birthday, the State Fair, weekend road trip to Utah, moving, and getting my first pharmacist paycheck, just to name a few. Not in that order (especially the check part- I really need money!). I don't think there is much that could spoil my mood this month. Unless you call me Amber...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

moving! where? when?